PFE Equipment and Service for Finished Buildings in NYC
FDNY/General requirements in NYC for Portable Fire Extinguishers in finished buildings:
- Offices, place of worship, hotel/motel – 1 extinguisher for 11,250 sq. ft. floor area.
- Retail stores/shops – 1 extinguisher for 3,000 sq.ft floor area.
- Fire extinguishers shall be located so that maximum travel distance shall not exceed 75 feet apart from each other
- The top of the fire extinguisher is not more than five (5) feet above the floor.
- Within 30 ft. of commercial cooking equipment OR
- Areas where flammable or combustible liquids are stored or used.
- The employer shall provide portable fire extinguishers and shall mount, locate and identify them so that they are readily accessible to employees
- Residential and commercial buildings in NYC require cabinets to protect the fire extinguisher and for more hall space or for aesthetics purposes.
Type of PFE:
- The FDNY code requires 10LB ABC fire extinguisher in finished buildings.