Local Law 196 requires workers on New York City jobsites with a Site Safety Plan to have 30 hours of site safety training by December 1, 2019. Superintendents on these jobsites are required to have 62 hours of site safety training by December 1, 2019.
Training Requirements for Workers
Workers on NYC jobsites need to have 30 hours of training by December 1st to be compliant with LL196 and receive a Limited SST Card. Training requirements can be met through one of the following:
- OSHA 30-Hour Class
- OSHA 10-Hour Class with 20 additional hours of training
- 100-Hour training program approved by the the NYC Department of Buildings
Training Requirements for Supervisors
Supervisors who want to receive a Supervisor SST Card must complete 62 hours of training. In order to comply with Local Law 196, this training must be completed by December 1, 2019. Supervisors must complete the following courses:
- OSHA 30-Hour Class
- 8-Hour Fall Prevention
- 8-Hour Chapter 33 (SSM Renewal)
- 4-Hour Supported Scaffold User & Refresher
- 2-Hour Site Safety Plan
- 2-Hour Tool Box Talks
- 2-Hour Pre-Task Safety Meetings
- 2-Hour General Electives
- 2-Hour Specialized Electives
- 2-Hour Drug and Alcohol Awareness
Important LL196 Dates to Remember
- October 16, 2017 – This is the date the legislation took effect and is relevant to online training.
- March 1, 2018 – This is the date by which at least 10 hours of SST training was required for all workers/supervisors.
- September 1, 2019 – The NYC DOB reserved the right to extend the 12/1/19 date to 6/1/2020.
- December 1, 2019 – This is the date by which:
- 30 hours of SST training is required for the worker and worker Limited SST Card will be required for all workers.
- 62 hours of SST training is required for supervisors and a supervisor SST Card will be required.
- A Temporary SST Card will be required for new entrants to the industry.
- September 1, 2020 – This is the date by which 40 hours of SST training is required by the worker and a (final) SST Card will be required for all workers.
Meet Compliance Requirements with TSCTA NJ
TSC Training Academy has a training location in New Jersey that provides training courses to meet the requirements of Local Law 196. TSCTA provides the courses you need including OSHA 30, OSHA 10, 8-Hour Fall Prevention, 8-Hour Chapter 33, 4-Hour Supported Scaffold User & Refresher and more. We offer training courses either on your jobsite or in our classrooms. Our training courses are taught in multiple languages by industry experts. Learn more about TSCTA’s training courses and enroll in a course today!